Sunday 22 December 2013

Mark Halsey - Mistreated


Former Premier League referee Mark Halsey has exclusively revealed how his boss Mike Riley and Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore ‘mistreated’ the match official following his battle back from cancer.

Halsey was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2009, and sounded out Mike Riley, the general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials or PGMO, likening his treatment after being given the all clear to ‘bullying’.

Halsey met with Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore privately to discuss the potential mismanagement of the PGMO, a body that is tasked with the responsibility of providing excellence in officiating in English football at professional level:

‘I told him my feelings, 2 years ago toward the current management team and the structure and he agreed with me, on a lot of things, but he turned round and said he’d deny ever having this conversation.’

Halsey has since hung up his whistle at the end of the 2012/13 season and was offered £50,000 as an exit package on retirement. This agreement would extinguish any subsequent publication of a Mark Halsey autobiography; Halsey refused, and claims he was never motivated by financial gain:

‘No, because, I’ve been given a 2nd chance in life, theirs more to life than money, life’s precious, you don’t need money.’

Following a successful but nevertheless gruelling course of both radio and chemotherapy, all the former referee could think about was getting his life and career, back on track, Halsey claims his employers weren’t convinced:

‘I remember being given the all clear, I said to the general manager – I’m going to try do a fitness test by the end of the month, he said no, I want a second opinion, because I want to see what the Christie hospital and your doctor is saying is the truth.’

The all clear came in December, and took two months for the recovered Halsey to hear back from his general manager.

The next phase involved fitness tests, the PGMO exercises a three strikes and you’re out policy on failed fitness tests, the general manager, Halsey claims, gave the cancer survivor no special dispensation, insisting that should he fail this fitness test it ‘will count’ and that Riley had ‘to be fair to all the other referees.’

This followed months of intense cardiovascular training Halsey put himself through to forge a comeback and officiate the beautiful game.

‘I went through January, went through February, took the fitness test, failed it miserably, I’ve never ever in all my career, failed a fitness test.’

Halsey recalls the moments after: I remember just sitting on the steps, and just let all my emotions out, put my head in me hands and just burst into tears, because, I couldn’t see myself coming back.’

Following the further trauma of failing his first fitness test of his career, the powers that be were apparently nowhere to be seen for support.

‘I got a fitness programme from Bolton wanderers where I was training because the new PGMO manager told the fitness guru at the Premier League he wasn’t allowed to talk to me, wasn’t allowed to give me any training whatsoever – the reason being if I dropped down dead or something.’



Halsey proved his fitness and return to officiating at the top level of the game in 2010, retiring from refereeing at Manchester City’s Premier League game at home to Norwich City at the end of last season.

No comments:

Post a Comment